Tonight for Dinner, I made Oxtail Stew in my crockpot.
I was really excited to see oxtail in my health food store's meat case, so I snatched up all three packages. I love oxtail! It's super fatty and gets really tender when cooked for long periods of time, making it a perfect slow cooker dinner. I had sweet potato fries on the side.
|Winter lighting is not my friend.|
My husband, Jim is not an adventurous eater and doesn't like fatty cuts of meat, so I made him burgers and baked french fries...
|Who needs vegetables?|
- 1 T coconut oil
- 4 oxtail pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- salt, pepper
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the oxtails on all sides. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Season the oxtails with salt and pepper
- Fry the garlic until fragrant.
- Add vegetables to the pan and fry for 3-5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add just enough broth so you can easily scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour broth into the slow cooker.
- Add vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Do not stir.
- Secure the lid and cook for 4-5 hours on High.