Sunday, December 23, 2012

Oxtail Stew and Burgers and Fries


Tonight for Dinner, I made Oxtail Stew in my crockpot.

 I was really excited to see oxtail in my health food store's meat case, so I snatched up all three packages. I love oxtail! It's super fatty and gets really tender when cooked for long periods of time, making it a perfect slow cooker dinner. I had sweet potato fries on the side.
 

Winter lighting is not my friend.
 
My husband, Jim is not an adventurous eater and doesn't like fatty cuts of meat, so I made him burgers and baked french fries... 
Who needs vegetables?

 
Oxtail Stew  
(based on this recipe by Bi-Polar Paleo)

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 4 oxtail pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 3-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2-3 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups broth
  • salt, pepper

    Directions:

  1. Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Brown the oxtails on all sides. Place them in the slow cooker.
  3. Season the oxtails with salt and pepper
  4. Fry the garlic until fragrant.
  5. Add vegetables to the pan and fry for 3-5 minutes until they begin to brown.
  6. Add just enough broth so you can easily scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
  7. Pour broth into the slow cooker.
  8. Add vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Do not stir.
  9. Secure the lid and cook for 4-5 hours on High.
    Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this! I have an Amish grassfed oxtail in the freezer and this sounds delicious!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should give it a try! I really liked it. And plenty of leftovers for me too. :)

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete